One of the most ignored household problems in Lafayette, IN is a leaky roof. For many homeowners in the area, it’s out of sight and out of mind, and they’ll allow this problem to continue until real damage starts to appear in their Lafayette, IN home. A leaky roof is a dangerous roof, and roof leaks present a bevy of hazards that homeowners may not be aware of. Roof maintenance is a primary issue that homeowners of the region should prioritize, as the roof is the part of your structure that really keeps the abuse of the elements out.
The Hazards To Watch Out For When You Have A Leaky Roof
A leaky roof can cause a number of different hazards within the home, and it’s these hazards you’ll need to watch out for in order to keep your Lafayette, IN family safe. Some of the hazards associated with roof leaks include:
- Slip and fall hazards – When roof leaks drop down onto tile or hard flooring, you get a fast-moving slip and fall hazard. It’s often small puddles that come through the roof at first, which may not be noticed by those walking around your space. The next thing you know, a family member or visitor to your home has found themselves in a slip and fall accident. While a simple slip may not seem like a big deal, slip and fall accidents are one of the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries in the United States.
- Property damage – If your roof rests above your attic, anything kept in your attic is susceptible to damage in the event of a roof leak. Roof leaks lead to water damage, mold growth, and damage from the elements outside.
- Mold and mildew – If your roof leaks into your attic, mold isn’t like to stay politely in the attic without disturbing any other regions of the home. Mold and mildew spreads and grows, and a roof leak anywhere in your home can lead to serious mold growth that spreads throughout. You may find your clothing, drywall, furniture, and other belongings begin taken over by rapid mold growth.
- Higher utility bills – Utility bills are already a nuisance for many in the area, and if you find that your utility bills are rising with no known cause, it could signal a leak in your roof. In the winter, your warm air will escape through these leaky areas, and your cool air in the summer.
- Fire hazards – The single most dangerous hazard a leaky roof present is a fire hazard. Water can seep in and make contact with electrical wiring in your attic, ceiling, or behind your walls, which can quickly turn into a fast-moving electrical fire.
Leave Your Roof To The Professionals
Because your roof is one of the most important parts of your structure, it’s doubly important to leave its repair and inspection to the professionals. If you suspect a roof leak, or you’re interested in the current state and safety of your roof, contact us at Wilkinson Roofing today.